Research and Work at the TU Berlin
Your employment contract has to be signed before your official start of work. Before the beginning of your employment, your institute and the personnel department will let you know which forms and documents are required.
Tax Identification Number
If you are employed at the TU Berlin, the staff will need your date of birth, your tax identification number (IdNr.). You will get the tax identification number when you sign up at the Residents’ Registration Office.
Tax and Social Security
If you have concluded a contract of employment in Germany with a university or research institution, you must generally pay taxes and the statutory social security contributions. The contributions are shared between the employer and the employee. They are automatically deducted from your salary by the employer and paid into the insurance fund. As a fellowship holder you are generally exempt from social security contributions.
You can get access to the WLan of the TU Berlin via the network eduroam.
If you have problems with installing eduroam, you can get personal help at the tubIT-Laden. You can also drop by with your laptop to get help with the installation.
Address: Einsteinufer 12, Raum EN 024
- during the semester: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
- during the semester break: Monday to Friday from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
1. De-registration at the registration office
2. Cancellation of bank account
3. Cancellation of electricity, water, gas etc.
4. Return of institute keys
5. Return of dining card, library card, books, etc.
6. De-registration of children from kindergarten/school
7. Payout of deposit
8. Forwarding request (Deutsche Post)
9. Become alumni of the TU Berlin
As international visiting researcher you are member of the TU Berlin and thus you are entitled to a campus card. The campus card enables you to
• get access to the it-services of the TU Berlin including a TU mail-account
• use the TU Berlin Library
• receive a university mensa card for employees and dine at a lower price
• enter the buildings of the TU Berlin at night and on weekends.
If you are registered as a visiting researcher, you will regularly receive e-mails with information and invitation to interesting events of the TU Berlin.